February 24 Open House Showcases Improvements
By the time summer arrives, drivers will be greeted with new roadway improvements at the intersection of Central Way and 6th Street. The City has received a $2 million State Community Trade and Economic Development grant, which combined with $50,000 from the City’s Capital Improvement Program (CIP), will bring multiple vehicular, pedestrian and bicycle improvements to the intersection. Construction is expected to begin in March and be complete by the end of June. Kirkland Public Works is hosting an informational Open House on February 24, 4:00 to 6:30 p.m., Tera Apartments, Lobby, 528 Central Way. To learn more about the project, attend the Open House or visit the project page at www.ci.kirkland.wa.us (Search: Central Way & 6th Street).
Some of the major improvements include:
- Install a new, longer-lasting roadway
- Revise traffic lanes to increase efficiency
- Realign westbound to northbound and eastbound to southbound right turn lane onto 6th Street from Central Way
- Reconstruct and realign landscaped traffic medians
- Replace sidewalk and curb at all four corners of the intersection
- Install audible pedestrian signals for Americans with Disabilities (ADA) compliance
- Provide more protected pedestrian crossings at all corners of the intersection
- Add bicycle signal detection
- Install new street lighting
During construction, the intersection will be closed for two to three weekends to allow for the installation of the new concrete roadway. Drivers are asked to seek alternate routes. For construction updates, call the CIP Information Hotline at 425-587-3838.