The Polar Bear Plunge (the first and therefore the BIGGEST event of 2012) is rapidly approaching and we have received a few questions as to what one should wear. So, we have put together a list of the Top 10 Things to Bring to the Polar Bear Plunge. The most important thing to bring is a sense of humor. There are few events in town which prompt more laughter from participants and onlookers alike.
1. A Hat -- A hat will not only keep you warm, but it will also help you look dashing on camera. Many participants love to dress up in costumes.
2. A Can -- If you bring a can of food, we will make sure it gets to a local food bank.
3. A Swimsuit -- While some spontaneous folks choose at the last minute to join the fun and run into the lake, it is best you come prepared. Bikini Beach sells a lovely selection of winter swimsuits in every style and color.
4. A Towel -- You will want to dry off quickly after leaving the bath waters of Lake Washington. Once your adrenaline drops off, the cold sets in.
5. Aqua Socks or Sandals -- Waterproof shoes always are a bonus.
6. Life/Casualty/Shark Insurance -- The Polar Bear Plunge is not sponsored by anyone or any organization or company. It is not an official event, rather a gathering of like-minded individuals, acting on their own accord. There is no insurance or safety net to catch you if you fall. Be smart and don't get hurt. If you think you may be averse to cold water, it is best you stay warm at home in your Snuggy.
7. A Friend -- It is always nice to have someone to witness your act of stupidity.
8. A Warm Drink -- Hypothermia is no laughing matter. There are a dozen coffee shops within a stone's throw of Marina Park.
9. Sunglasses -- Prolonged exposure to large quantities of pink skin may be harmful to your health.
10. A Smile -- The press, of course, will be there catching every moment of the excitement (including TV crews). You're sure to see lots of laughter and smiles at the Polar Bear Plunge!